Looks like I am making two posts in one day! (Or should I have just wait until Friday at midnight? Hmmm….whatever).
Five Race Day Surprises
- Weather – Always prepare for the worse but hope for the best. When I ran the Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon in March, it was cold and wet. Like REALLY cold and wet. I bought a cheap raincoat the night before and wished I had spent more money on a better quality raincoat for the race. Although I am not sure if a more expensive raincoat would have kept me from getting soaked…
- Test out gadgets-I can’t even think about the number of times that I thought my Garmin watch was charged before going out for a run and it wasn’t so I couldn’t use it to track my mileage. On the other hand I have other apps on my phone that still allow me to track my runs but I prefer my watch (that now has a broken wristband 🙁 ).
- Race location-I’ve definitely run (hahah nice pun) into the problem of not knowing where the start/finish line is. I’ve ended up having to walk/jog/pray that if I just followed this group in the running shorts and sneakers that I would make it to start location. Usually it works but its not something I would recommend!
- Bring a snack-I guess this one would really depend on how long your run was and when you last ate but I have made the mistake of not bring food on longer runs and regretted it. Dizziness and nausea are definitely not good.
- Having fun (I guess this isn’t really a surprise since it seems to happen every time I run but I’m going with it)- Whenever I start a race, I am a ball of nerves and I think of all these worse case scenarios. After I start running, I shake off the nerves and bad energy and I start having fun. That and the accomplishments that I feel after a good run/race make it all worth it.
What has been your best race day surprise?